IMPROVE HEALTH, SAFETY, & PERFORMANCE IN YOUR WORKPLACE
Your company’s most valuable assets are the highly skilled employees running many critical areas of your organization. New standards like the American Petroleum Institute’s ANSI RP-755 recognize the importance of well-lit workplaces that prevent circadian disruption at night and the costly impact on an organization
To support key employees, your lighting systems should optimize safety, health, and productivity by minimizing circadian disruption. CIRCADIAN’S Zirc™ Technology
CIRCADIAN Zirc™ LED Technology:
- Addresses the Health Risk of Light at Night – There is substantial evidence about exposure to blue light at night and how it disrupts circadian rhythms, which trigger carcinogenic and metabolic processes and suppress health-protecting hormones like melatonin. In turn, causing fatigue-related errors, absenteeism, presenteeism and higher turn-over rates in your operations.
- Reduces the Cost of Circadian Disruption – The Jet-lag malaise that results from disrupted circadian rhythms resulting in low productivity and increased errors.
- Maximizes Alertness and Vigilance – Blue-boost during the morning and post- lunch combined with a blue-depleted light at night that maintains alertness, productivity, and reduction in errors.
- Light Training & Shiftwork Support Services – We can provide workforce training on managing fatigue, sleep and light with the installation as well as other shiftwork support services
YEAR ASSESSMENT OF CIRCADIAN LIGHTS IN THE WORKPLACE
- 50% Increase in employees alert and fresh at 5 am, the hardest time to stay awake on the night shift
- 67% Reduction in employees reporting frequent mistakes or errors in their safety-critical jobs
- 50% Reduction in employees with excessive sleepiness on the Epworth Scale, a standardized fatigue metric
- 33% Reduction in frequent nodding off/fighting sleep events
- 45% Reduction in average number of snacks eaten during the night shift
- 28% Reduction in employees who rank as obese or overweight by the Body Mass Index (BMI)
- 20% Reduction in employees with Gastrointenstinal Disorders
- 43% Reduction in frequent use of over the counter pain medications
Download Control Room Brochure Download 1-Year Case Study
CIRCADIAN® Zirc™ LED Technology
The evidence is in. Our brains and bodies require blue-rich light during the day and absence of blue light at night to promote health and well-being. The matched pair of Zirc™ DaySync™ and NightSafe™ LEDs for the first time provide an unparalleled 42-fold day-night contrast between blue emission at the peak effective 477 nm Circadian Potency wavelength. Not only does ZircLight™ provide a robust circadian entraining light solution, but with 124-143 lumens/watt delivered 24/7 there is no compromise in energy-efficiency to ensure climate change initiatives can be met.
In the natural world there is a strong circadian >100,000 fold contrast between 10,000 lux (cloudy day) and 0.1 lux (full moonlight). But unlike our ancestors we spend over 93% of our time indoors with conventional fluorescent and LED lighting which emits too little blue rich light during the day and far too much blue-rich light at night. Dozens of serious health disorders, from sleep disorders and fatigue, to obesity and diabetes, and even breast and prostate cancer have now been linked by the World Health Organization, American Medical Association and the NIH National Toxicology Program to the circadian disruption caused by the harmful effects of modern lighting.
Why is 477nm blue the peak circadian wavelength?
Billions of years ago when life first began, the only light that penetrated the ocean depths was ~477 nm blue. All other spectral colors in sunlight are absorbed by sea water, so days were blue and nights black. Circadian clocks evolved using 477 nm blue as the signal for day and night. New research now shows that our eyes, like the primitive oceans, use blue light from 438-493 nm with a peak wavelength of 477 nm as the steady state signal for circadian entrainment. While short exposures in dark adapted laboratory volunteers may show some transient effects of violet and green, the key circadian signal is 438-493 nm blue. Circadian ZircLight™ LED’s are spectrally engineered to adhere to this fundamental law of nature.
When you have to work in the evening or at night, you no longer need to dim the lights, or use ugly orange-yellow lighting, to avoid the harmful effects of blue-rich light at night. Spectrally engineered Zirc™ Day and Night light engines provide attractive energy efficient circadian healthy white light 24/7. Compared to 15-20% blue emissions of conventional LEDS, Zirc™ Night LEDs deliver only 1% of blue content, easily meeting the UL verification mark of “Less than 2% blue light at Night” And during the day ZircTM LEDs deliver more than 20% of blue content that has been critical to health since life began.
Alertness and productivity at night safely delivered
Light is energizing especially when it contains shorter wavelengths such as blue and violet. Some have suggested using blue rich light at night to prevent fatigue, but that risks circadian disruption and ill health. Zircs™ night LEDs elegantly solve this problem by providing safe violet content, which is more effective than blue at promoting alertness and preventing errors, and with the advantage that it does not disrupt our circadian clocks.
Matched Zirc™ White Light Day and Night LEDs
- 124-143 lumens/watt
- Each between 3250-4000 CCT
- Both CRI >80
- Zirc™ DaySync™ emits 42 times more Circadian Potent 477 nm blue than Zirc™ NightSafe™ LED
- More than 15-fold difference in total 438-493 nm blue emission
- Zirc™ NightSafe™ LED emits only <1.5% of visible energy in 443-493 nm blue Circadian potency band
- Exceeds the UL verification spec of <2% blue content at night