Five key discoveries that have revolutionized the medical science of lighting
Discovery 1: 1980 The human circadian clock
Dr. Martin Moore-Ede, CEO of CIRCADIAN ZircLight, led the team at Harvard Medical School that in 1980 identified the circadian clock (suprachiasmatic nucleus or SCN) in the human brain that controls our daily circadian (approximately 24-hour) rhythms of sleep and wake, body temperature and hormones. Light falls on non-visual photoreceptors in the eye and synchronizes the SCN via special visual pathways that were first traced out in rodents.
These discoveries opened up our understanding on how critical circadian rhythms were to maintaining good health and preventing sleep disruption and fatigue.
The Darker Side of Light
The scientific evidence for the health risks from blue light at night. Click on links below to download publications:
- What's in a Color? The Unique Human Health Effects of Blue Light
- American Medical Association 2012 Report on Adverse Health Effects of Light at Night.
- American Medical Association 2016 Health Effects of LED Street Lighting
- Danish Cancer Society 2001 Increased Breast Cancer Risk in Women Working at Night
- IARC World Health Organization 2007 - Light at Night Probable Carcinogen
- National Institutes of Health 2014 Report on Carcinogens Shiftwork at Night
- National Institutes of Health 2016 Workshop on Light at Night Health Effects
- Royal Society 2015 Electric light at night disrupts human circadian rhythmicity
- Scientific Comments on AMA Policy 2013 Adverse health effects of nightime lighting
- Tulane University 2015 Melatonin Inhibitor of breast cancer
- University of Haifa 2008 Light At Night Codistributes with Breast Cancer in Israel
Lighting Innovations Driven By Medical Science
The Circadian Light Center serves as our medical research facilities for developing lighting technology. It is here, in our own in-house 24/7 workplace simulation center, that we set out to define the exact wavelengths of the light spectrum that would be healthy for people during the day, and those wavelengths that would be healthiest to see at night.
CIRCADIAN LED Lights deliver high quality white light with 24/7 control of the Bio-Active Blue levels to boost alertness, productivity, and health and prevent circadian rhythm disruption. CIRCADIAN Light fixtures are autonomous, easily installed by any electrician and provide high quality white light with the optimal bio-active blue levels based on time of day, season, and location.
CIRCADIAN Light fixtures are designed to provide quality white light 24/7 with the precise wavelength spectrum day and night to optimize health and performance. They deliver the “24-Hour Spectrum of Health”
The growing awareness of Bio-Active Blue light nocturnal exposure health risks has led several companies to try to capitalize on the market opportunity by rushing to market with so-called “circadian lighting” products that do not prevent the circadian disruption by light at night. Below are the features of conventional LED, fluorescent lights and other new lighting products in comparison to the authentic CIRCADIAN Light solution.